Nov 29, 2018
*This episode of the Industrial IoT Spotlight podcast is
sponsored by PTC
In this episode, we define what “real-time” means for software
solutions, and the 3 key factors for digital success.
What does “real-time” mean for customers? What are the key
challenges of the digital transformation? How can software
providers and system integrators help customers in their digital
- Real-time solutions are mission critical regardless of
whichever layer it is in. The solutions have to work; they are in
the operations and control levels and they are controlling the
operations. Real-time solutions bring together the product
lifecycle, automation, and software realms.
- The major problem most clients are facing is the inability to
define and support digital transformation.
- “Digital” is commonly used as a catch-all term to describe all
the integration needed to address typical challenges such as
efficiency and supply chain coordination.
- For each individual problem, different technologies could be
considered and implemented. However, it is difficult to select
which technology to use based on technical specifications
- In reality, the existing infrastructure is not adequate. For
example, there may be a mismatch of technology between the various
acquisitions, businesses, and divisions that a company has.
- Solution providers can take a multi-disciplinary approach
combining consulting and workflow processes to help the client
define and understand the scope of work.
- It is not easy to understand and translate business
requirements into technical software requirements. Demonstrating
software or business processes using a “day in the life of”
approach, so that each party can understand the requirements in
their own vocabulary, facilitates the alignment of business and
- It is crucial to marry the business and the technology for
successful digital transformation. Three factors are key:
- The benefits of the initiative should be clearly defined, and
used to create the scope of work.
- Executive buy-in is crucial to motivate people to use digital
technologies. The use of digital technologies creates a channel for
people to see the value created by themselves.
- Value must be created quickly and tracking must be consistent,
so that customers do not need to wait to see value and the possibly
of project abandonment is reduced.
Find out more about getting quick wins designing for the
this PTC webcast.
Brock Solutions is
an engineering solutions and professional services company
specializing in the design, build and implementation of real-time
solutions for broad based industrial/manufacturing and
transportation/logistics organizations globally.
Accelerating the Industrial Internet of Things. IoT ONE is
an insights and advisory firm focused on helping companies manage
the threats and opportunities presented by the Internet of