Nov 8, 2018
*This episode of the Industrial IoT Spotlight
podcast is sponsored by PTC
In this episode, we discuss what digital transformation means
for traditional companies, the opportunity and risks it presents,
and how to successfully drive it within organizations.
Our interview with Howard Heppelmann, General Manager of PTC’s
Connected solutions business, aims to answer four key questions:
What are the key challenges of digital transformation? What are the
best practices in app development to drive digital transformation
in organizations? What are the 4 technologies that will disrupt
traditional businesses, and how?
PTC’s leading industrial innovation platform and solutions turn
Industry 4.0 possibility into reality. Learn more about PTC's
solutions with the
ABI Report on Smart Manufacturing Platforms.
- Digital transformation enables companies to go from a rear-view
approach to present and future real-time optimization of their
- IIoT app development no longer has to lie with the IT
department, or within certain silos. Citizen developers in the
business or operations can develop apps that are most closely
aligned with their individual business objectives.
- The traditional approach to app development results in
individual departments hitting ceilings and failing to achieve
synergy because individual departments optimize their own silos.
Platforms are able to connect various apps and pool data so that
the entire organization has transparent views and each department’s
optimization can also benefit others.
- The four technologies that will disrupt traditional businesses
- IoT and analytics: the convergence of IT and OT to utilize data
with analytics improve productivity
- Augmented reality: the empowerment of workers in highly labor
intensive operations to become more efficient
- Additive manufacturing: the disruption that breaks the design
and operational constraints of traditional manufacturing approaches
and cascades down the value chain
- Digital technology platforms: the integration of technologies
and applications in one plane that allows companies to move at
- IIoT will transform industries, companies, and products,
Traditional companies need to clearly define what digital
transformation means for them and the value they bring to market or
risk becoming obsolete.
Accelerating the Industrial Internet of Things. IoT ONE is
an insights and advisory firm focused on helping companies manage
the threats and opportunities presented by the Internet of